Friday, September 6, 2013

A Beginning

Looking around me, I find that much that was science fiction is now science fact.  Anyone watching "The Prophets of Science Fiction," which I believe airs periodically on the Science Network, can see how a wide variety of technologies were predicted by science fiction authors, but it doesn't end there.  Look around you - in many ways, science fiction is science reality.  To use Star Trek's terms, I have a communicator (a non-smart cell phone) in my pocket, my rudimentary tricorder (an iTouch) went missing last month, and my data pad (an iPad) sits next to me.  I'm also typing on a laptop so thin, I could lose it under a sheet of paper if I'm not careful - but I've never seen one of those on the Enterprise.  Somehow, star ships still use desktop computers, I guess.

My point is, technology is all around us, changing how we accomplish tasks and altering what is possible.  I am beginning a class investigating the use of technology in education, so my first posts will focus on that area of advancement.  After the class, I hope to continue this blog, possibly expanding the scope to discuss other ways technology can enhance (or distract) our lives.

Have fun reading - and I hope you'll contribute your thoughts as well.

3 comments:

  1. Robin - I enjoy your reflection through the lens of science fiction. Having this as a frame of reference gives both you as the writer, and me as the reader a purpose for engaging with your ideas. I wonder what will be your next connections. I made some connections to the ideas and writing of Ray Kurzweil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother used a Kurzweil Reader while I was young - but I've never read his work. If I get a chance to look him up, I will. In the meantime, it's TV, Sci-Fi I've already read, and the almost magical abilities that technology gives us. I'm glad you like the beginning!

    ReplyDelete