So... what is this BYOD Pilot? According to CBS Baltimore, three high schools in Howard County, Maryland are now allowing students to bring their own internet ready devices to school for use during class time. The full details of this pilot can be found on the Howard County Public School System's website. Included on that page are links to the guidelines that students and teachers must abide by, and a copy of the agreement that students and their parents must sign to participate. Not only has Howard County laid out the responsibilities and consequences of bringing in personal devices, but according to CBS Baltimore's article, students are abiding by the agreements and using their technology responsibly.
I find this idea to be ultra cool both as a mother and as a future Library Media Specialist. To fully explain why I feel this way, lets imagine that this program catches on and is rolled out county wide. My daughter is in elementary school, and that is where I hope to land as a Media Specialist, so lets look at how this program works at the elementary school level.
Looking at the School Media curriculum, particularly for grades PreK-1, I find that locating and evaluating resources, as well as generating, recording, and organizing data, are important features of a curriculum that specifically mentions online and multimedia resources. The BYOD program would allow more students to actively participate in the learning process without the teacher needing to reserve the computer lab or one of the mobile labs. As they construct keyword searches, or conduct simulations in other classes, they can compare their results to what they wanted - discovering ways to become more efficient or reliable. By breaking down larger tasks into smaller steps that they record into a todo list, using as app on their own device, or creating a research plan, the students can plan with intent in a format that they can take with them. Most importantly, student research becomes more authentic because students are learning to use tools, hardware and software, that they can access outside of school - learning skills and approaches that they can apply to any challenge life throws at them. The CBS Baltimore article also specifically mentions that students are working cooperatively in the BYOD program, working in teams to compensate for not everyone having a web enabled device.
So why, your distracted mind asks, have I typed five words in bold font? Howland, Jonassen & Marra, in their textbook Meaningful Learning with Technology, assert that these five elements (active, intentional, constructive, authentic & cooperative) are characteristics of meaningful learning. As an introvert, I object to "cooperative" being one of these elements - but this is my class textbook, so I'll run with it for the duration of the class. Howland et al have until Christmas to change my mind.
Despite my quibbling over one aspect of what is or is not meaningful learning, I do believe the BYOD program will promote meaningful learning with technology without creating a financial drain on the school system. Without mucking about with keywords, BYOD allows students to use technology themselves, not just watching someone use it, discovering and solving problems using tools that they'll actually have access to outside the classroom. The same device that helps Bridget discover the capital of Brazil can help her discover when The Little Mermaid comes out on DVD (and Mommy, can we please buy it? Please please please???!).
As a mother, how can I not be happy when I see my kids learn to use tools to answer their own questions? (Ok, so not the "can we buy The Little Mermaid?" question, but maybe "why is the sky blue?" or "why can't I Skype Uncle Stewart (in Japan) during lunch?") As a Library Media Specialist, how can I not get excited at the prospect of a more hands on, interactive, approach to the online and multimedia resources that it will be my responsibility to teach?
Many many years ago, I remember playing Where in the World is Carmen Sanediego? as part of my elementary school media class time - our teacher used it as a way to learn how to use the Card Catalog and other library tools. Now I have visions of a classroom using their mobile devices and library resources to solve Mystery Skype challenges. Same idea - but much cooler.
When push comes to shove, I think the only thing I'm not 100% sold on is the idea of putting an iPad into my daughter's pink, sparkly, glitter encrusted backpack and sending it to school. I love the idea of her using one... but I guess this is something I should just learn to get comfortable with because I know that it's a good idea. But still - first grade?! Did you not see the pile of backpacks at the bus stop as the kids ran races while waiting for the bus this morning? I'll just have to reimagine that iPad to have thick (pink) bumpers and other protections to guard against drops, scrapes, and other consequences of childhood use - not the sleek black case that mine has. Ahh... that's better.
And maybe BYOD won't reach the elementary schools at all - starting in middle school perhaps. Such a limitation would be as smart as it is unfortunate. But for it to get there, the pilot must be successful. For now, it appears to be doing well - let us hope it continues to fly high.
No comments:
Post a Comment