Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Semesters End, but Life Continues

Technology is rapidly evolving, and we need to stay on our toes to make the most of our opportunities.  What technologies can make our lives easier & classrooms better -- and what's just a distraction?  College has prepared us to be lifelong learners -- but technology demands that we do so actively, not passively.  Like fire, technology can warm our imaginations, but it can also burn us if we aren't careful or use it inappropriately.

I've written the last blog post required by my Technology in the Classroom class.  This is neither a good thing, nor a bad thing, but it is a thing -- an event, and there will be changes because of it.

While I do plan to continue this blog, but as a wife, mother, student, & employee I find that my time is stretched to the breaking point.  Now that I've completed my blogging assignments, I may run into periods when assignments and family life make writing blog posts impossible.  During a slower period, I plan to write some "blogs in reserve" to post during these busy times.  It is my goal to drop at least one post per month.

So that's the bad news - blog frequency will decline, and we may pass through some dry spells.  The good news is that I'm no longer going to be guided by a grading rubric, so I won't be going down a checklist, contriving ways to mention various talking points.  I don't mean to say that rubrics are bad -- they're not -- only that needing to hit specific talking points can sometimes create an awkward document as the writer contrives linkages between required elements.  I also hope to return to the wonder of the sci-fi theme I'd envisioned for this blog when I started it.

Well, projects are looming and my daughter's excited countdown to her birthday party (this weekend) only emphasizes how little time I have left.  It will be a minor miracle if I get another blog post off this year, but I sincerely hope to be back in January.  And so, on that note, happy holidays, and have a wonderful new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment