The thing is, in just about every science fiction book I can think of where space travel exists and there have probably been encounters with aliens, Earth is ruled by a global government. In one of those books, I would be a "citizen of Earth," an "Earthling" or possibly a "Terran". Only in stories set in the near future would someone like me consider themselves to be an American, and it would probably have to be a time travel or post-appocolyptic tale for me to identify myself as a Marylander.
So, are we truly moving toward a world government? I might not mind it if we are. Taking another look at those stories, you'll frequently also find that good ol' Earth (or Terra) has moved beyond the need to make war on itself. We must remember, though, that all the cultures of the world are well worth preserving. Diversity is a beautiful thing, and when we try to stir the melting pot to such an extent that peoples' rich backgrounds are stripped away, we trade something precious for something both uniform and dull.
That sounds like an interesting book. I'm going to look for it at my library. I agree diversity is a beautiful thing.
ReplyDelete